In "honor" of April 15, your humble blogger thought it best to recall some of Ronald Reagan's wisdom on taxation. Loyal readers will recall an analogous post on April 15, 2009, reproducing some of Winston Churchill's wisdom on the subject.
1. "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15th."
2. "We don't have a trillion dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; We have a trillion dollar debt because we spend too much."
3. "History shows that when the taxes of a nation approach about 20% of the people's income, there begins to be a lack of respect for government. . . . When it reaches 25%, there comes an increase in lawlessness.”
4. "The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."
5. "The government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."